Geotechnical Investigation, Materials Testing and Inspection for the Renovation and Conversion of a 4-Story Office Building at Da Vinci High School (2015-2018/Phase I; 2016-2018/Phase II)
This unique and complex high school renovation project was completed in two phases. The proposed development for Phase I included the renovation of an existing four-story office building, to be converted into a future high school building. The existing four-story building had about 80,000 square feet area on each floor, resulting in a total of about 330,000 square feet area. The building was supported on piles. Also, a new amphitheater was planned to be constructed attached to the existing building. GAI performed during construction testing and inspection on all facets of underground, grading, and piling works. The project construction budget for Phase 1 was $40M.
Phase II of the project construction included site development, utility infrastructure for about five acres site, an aquatic center, swimming pools, and about 30,000 square feet. The El Segundo building started in 2016 and was completed in late 2018.
GAI performed soil and materials testing and inspection for this phase. Our tasks included site and building pad grading, concrete, rebar, masonry, steel structure welding inspection, and relevant laboratory testing. The construction cost for Phase II was about $50M.
GAI previously conducted geotechnical soil investigations for both phases of Wiseburn Unified School District projects.
LOCATION: El Segundo, CA
ADDITIONAL PROJECTS FOR THIS SCHOOL DISTRICT INCLUDE:
- Cooling Tower Replacement at Wiseburn High School (Soils and Materials Testing and Inspection Services)
- Shade Structure at Juan Cabrillo Elementary School (Soils and Materials Testing and Inspection Services)
- Da Vinci High School Carrier Technical Education (CTE) Studio & Shop (Geotechnical Engineering)
- Construction of Da Vinci High School (Geotechnical and Geohazard Study)
- Cabrillo Elementary School (Soil and Materials Testing and Inspection)
- New Artificial Turf Play Field at Anza Elementary School (Geotechnical Investigation + Soils and Materials Testing and Inspection Services)
- Da Vinci High School Building and Aquatic Center (Gymnasium, Pools and Site Work) (Geotechnical Investigation and Soil Testing and Inspection)
- Rehabilitation of the Existing Office Building at Da Vinci Schools into a New High School Building (Geotechnical Investigation)
- Construction of a New 60,000 square feet Gymnasium Building at Da Vinci Schools (Geotechnical Investigation)